Open Dialogue International Community Forum

Meeting with commissioner

Dear All,
I have a meeting with a commissioner of services in my area to discuss the Open Dialogue Approach in mid January. Does anybody have any experience of setting up a proof of concept pilot for Open Dialogue and how did you present this to the local commissioners?

Warm Regards.

Hello Duncan,
Meeting commissioners of services will not be an easy ride because their primary interest will be economics, and you need to be very aware that the underlying NHS philosophy is privatisation. I looked at this issue in 2016 when I did the introductory programme and was inspired to see if I could take the idea forward. The evidence in Finland was compelling and is worth reviewing again, but it is clear that the early investment was not easy to establish from their commissioners. As the CEO of an NHS Mental Health Trust it would seem I had all the advantages, but the competition amongst the professionals was a significant barrier too as each Professor sought to protect ‘their’ turf. I am in Austria at the moment but will be back in the UK early January. We can speak online and email but I am aware of the tight deadline you have. Do get in touch if I can help. Best wishes, Rex

Hi Duncan,
The ODCentre in Australia has developed some interesting resources for priming conversations w service leaders and talking about readiness.

https://opendialoguecentre.org.au/

On their website I think there is an implementation tab, might be helpful

Hi Duncan,

How did your meeting go? I’d be happy to share my experience of setting up a pilot if that would still be helpful.

Best wishes,

Darren

Hi Darren. The meeting was fairly low key as I was in the process of moving to a different authority. The general gist was that the local authority was strategically committed to expanding its community mental health team to deal with crisis work and supervision of those subject to detention prior to admission to hospital. There was a discussion about evidence base and a willingness to look at findings of the Kent research project. I would say very much in the pre-contemplation phase.
Warm Regards
Duncan

Hi Duncan, thanks for letting me know. At least they were open. Hope the interest grows.
Best wishes,
Darren